expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Grandpa's Bait Shop (Fank's Bait Shop)

This is how I remembered it about 1964 when I was 5, maybe even 4
It was at the end of Erie Rd where it dead end into the Lake, Luna Pier, MI
I used to play with my cousin David here after my Dad moved back from Monroe
where he was born to Luna Pier, when he was less than 8 because of the
depression, Luna Pier was a place of Summer cottages before the depression
that had a dance Pier and people would come to play in the summer, big names from 
as far away as Chicago would play there as well as the mob, there was a Trolley Car
That ran from Toledo to Monroe through Luna Pier, His Bait Shop was next to
or in the middle of a wild life refuge surrounding a coal burning Power plant.
People, I remember a lot of Black's, from as far away as Detroit would come to fish 
"The Hot Hole". the fish liked the warm water that came from Lake Erie into the plant 
to cool the turbines, then back to Lake Erie, My cousin's dad and mom ran
it after he passed and now it's long gone as well as an orphanage summer camp
"Our Lady of the Lake" where Orphans from Florida came and camped on the Lake
but we were not allowed to play with them, the nuns had a tight rain on them
although we did use there raft and play in the buildings in the winter,
when I say we I really mean my cousins and a hand full of kids, Luna Pier
is the smallest or was the smallest city in Michigan my dad had 4 brothers and 
one sister raised there all five boys were in the military, at one point
one of my uncles his wife and four kids all about 10 and under lived in
the Bait Shop, all they had was EACH OTHER


No comments :

Epic Shine

About Me