expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Sherrard family of Steubenville - Google Books

The Sherrard family of Steubenville - Google Books: "THE WEDDING DAY.

The 24th of May, 1827, was the time fixed for the marriage between myself and Jane Hindman, and preparations were made on both sides for the coming event.

I had a few choice friends invited to accompany me to the wedding, and I had chosen John Sharon as my waiter, and had asked Joseph Kithcart and his sister Kezia to go with us over to the marriage. And Jane Hindman had Mary Ann Brown for her waiter, and John Simeral and several others as invited guests. I had already notified the Rev. Jacob Cozard, who was still pastor of Old Centre Church, to be on hand that day to tie the knot and make us truly man and wife.

I presented the bride with two pairs of white gloves,—one pair of white kid, and the other of white silk. I and my party had not arrived long before we were called up upon the floor facing the Rev. Jacob Cozard, and he said the ceremony which made me and Jane Hindman man and wife,—the very thing I had all along been anxiously waiting for. After dinner the Rev. Mr. Cozard made ready to go home, as he at that time lived some six miles southeast of Wellsburg, in the bounds of Lower Buffalo Congregation. I had given my waiter, John Sharon, a $3 bill, which he handed to him, and Mr. Cozard was off. The amount paid him as a marriage fee was rather small as it seemed, and so it was; but forty and fifty years ago two dollars and three dollars was a very common marriage fee.

The next morning being the infare day, soon after breakfast we made ready to start for home, it being six miles from Pleasant Hill, where the Hindmans lived, to Rush Run Mills, where the Sherrards lived. I had previously given an invitation to all the young people of the bride's party, which they had cheerfully accepted; and when all were mounted and under headway, it made a very respectable infare party.

On arriving home we found all things in order, and mother-in-law Kithcart and others waiting to receive us, among whom was Absalom Hall and his wife.

I and Jane had not been very long married until mother-in-law Kithcart and her two sons, Joseph and Cunningham, had thoughts of her being removed to Mount Pleasant to keep house for them, so that her daughter might be released and be united in marriage, according to promise, to Smiley Sharon. To bring about the matter of her removal, her son Joseph came over to see me about it, and asked me how soon I could move mother over to Mount Pleasant. I answered that I had no part nor lot in the matter. ' Why,' said he, ' are you not under promise to move her in any direction as far away as what you brought her here ? ' ' No, sir,' said I, ' I am under no such obligation. Before I brought her away from her old home, she expressed a fear that I might soon marry again, and if so, that would put her to the necessity of seeking a new home, and no way of moving to it. But I said to your mother, that if I married in less than three years, I would promise to move her to any place she might choose to go, as far away as I would bring her. And now I have not married till almost four years have passed round, and if you want your mother to keep house for you, do as I did when I wanted her for that purpose.' And that ended the matter; for in a few days he came and moved his mother and his sister Kezia to his home at Mount Pleasant. And after this, preparations were made for the marriage of Martha Kithcart to Smiley Sharon, which was solemnized on Thursday, June 21, 1827, by the Rev. Joseph Anderson, pastor at the time of the Mount Pleasant Church, and I and my new wife Jane were at the wedding."

No comments :

Epic Shine

About Me